As I was starting to develop ideas, I decided to go with Captain America for the character and theme for this plane. As he was my preferred character for this I started to develop some imagery using my chosen plane for the designs.
This first design was me trying to develop the plane into the Captain America themed design, after a while of experimenting I decided that it wasn’t going the way I first wanted to. I gave the design a second thought and had a go at superimposing textures to the plane. I tried grungy effects to it, after a while I looked into posters and the way he looked. I then thought of armor, this is when I was looking through armor plates. I came across this foot grid texture which was similar to Captain America’s own armor. I started to superimpose the texture to the panels of the plane. I then added the logo using the transformation tool, then distort I altered the logo to look as though it was part of the plane. After this I blended the layers using multiply giving the image the the full look of the plane, allowing the folds and creases to come through the texture. I really like the way the plane turned out in the end, I intend to use this for my designs.
These two designs were just some experiments I did for the other two characters. I did these two to see what they would start to look like using them as the theme. I tried a few different things with these ones but they didn’t work to well, this is why I decided to go with the Captain America design. I think with more work they could have been successful but as I already had one that looked good for the design so I went with that one.
After I developed the plane with the superimposed imagery i started to put together some poster designs to get a feel of what it would look like when it comes to promoting the plane its self. I started off with some imagery of sky scraper buildings and started to play around with the layout.
here I got the imagery right to show the plane well and show it as though it would be flying. When i was looking for fonts I wanted something similar to the original, I cam across this font called American Captain. I think that this font suits the poster and theme better than I thought. After a while I thought to look into Captain America and where it was his character originated from. After some research I found that Captain America originally was made in the World War 2 to fight against Hitler and his allies. After this I then looked into how I could incorporate this into my design.
This was the imagery I came up with for the World War 2 theme I really like the idea and theme behind this, I can’t add any color to it as it is black and white as the photo and imagery from World War 2 would have been. If I am to stick to this theme then I need to stick to the black and white. I really so think the idea behind this is really good so I am going to work with both of these.
After receiving peer reviews and advice I was advised to make it look more like a classic poster. In the end I added an overlay to them both and them multiplied the layers, I am very very pleased with the outcomes.
Here are the developed posters with the overlays, I really like how they have worked. The effect it gives the posters makes the look more of a real poster effect, the WW2 poster looks older and more found rather than clean and in your face. It gives it a classic look.
After I got the poster ready I inserted the type, I played around with the layout and composition until I feel I was almost there, I received some feedback for the posters from, I was told to move the logo as it takes up to much space, when I already have the smaller logo on the left. I was also told to alter the type slightly putting more of the attention on important type and changing it around so they don’t all look the same. I also was told that with the logo it almost could look like to someone else random that the name could be Captain America KLUTZ, so this could have been a big risk. So in the end I tidied up the type and changed the logo but also brought put more of the plane.